PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NLP in cockpit com
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2009, 05:35
BuzzLightyears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Roger
Try to learn how to fall with style!
Jokes apart I was just reading some stuff on how to prepare for an airline interview and this magic 3 letters NLP come out. Since I really didn’t know anything about it but truly willing to get as much information as possible for my interview, I tried to understand the meaning of them (you’ll never know maybe HR can ask questions on that!).
And then happened that I kept reading those stuff and while doing that I was projecting those information on a day-by-day cockpit scenario, initially just on the non-verbal aspect of the cockpit comm.. How many times pilots use hands to underline verbal messages? For example the so common PM’s 1000ft call prior level off it’s often accompanied by the use of one finger (hopefully not the middle one!) to get PF’s attention on the remaining 1000ft to go!
Someone says flying it’s a mix of fascinating emotions beginning from the romantic idea of gravity winning, cloud chasing and continuing with the much more realistic needs of how bigger is my wallet at the end of the month! That said, probably not only the non-verbal comm. can influence the cockpit interaction but also kinesthetic/feelings stimulation can create a cockpit atmosphere where pilots are really willing to belong! How many times you felt uncomfortable in the cockpit? (seem a common question in an interview!)
And since NLP is not brand new stuff and I’m not a brand new pilot either but still relatively young and green I thought someone already had come out with the same representation as mine.
Reading the post it appears everybody knows what it is but since it’s not science there’s a silent fear to put it in the cockpit! Probably it’s true, these are already a lot of information in CRM courses that introducing not science technique will definitely increase the cost/effectiveness to a level not needed especially in this particular economic moment.
Is there a knack to making an award-winning best cockpit atmosphere airline contest? Don’t know, if not in the front maybe in the back of a cockpit cause this knack, so far it’s pretty entertaining, at least enough to fill 2 PPrune pages! And by the way, people pay money to see a film that’s entertaining, also during economic crises.
If it never being done before doesn’t mean it can’t be done