PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda Pilot Jailed
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2009, 05:17
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F/O "Taking over"

MrWooby and Sockedunnecessarily, please try and understand that in Asian airlines with Asian crews, the Captain is God. You each are totally correct in expecting your F/O to take over from you if they believe you are placing the aircraft and passengers in danger. Neither of you, I presume, are flying for an Asian airline. The Garuda F/O should have felt able to take control, however I would bet he did not because he believed his attempt to take control would be resisted and his career would be in jeopardy. My whole point was that it could have been much worse if there had been a wrestling match over control of the aircraft at a late stage in the approach. Sure, the approach was grossly fast, the aircraft was not properly configured and a go-around should have been carried out. As I said before, it is not the first case where an approach was allowed to be continued when the normal parameters were not being flown. Qantas pilots allowed an approach to continue when the threshold crossing height was high, the airspeed high, the touchdown point well down the runway etc. The F/O, in this case the handling pilot, initiated a go-around which was then aborted by the Captain without advising the F/O, leaving a throttle forward at a value of around 1.50 EPR whilst retarding the other three to idle-reverse. Result, directional control difficulty initially and left the end of the runway at a speed of 88 kts. Flap 25 was used and no thought of full reverse or flap 30 on a contaminated runway. So, even in our flag carrier where "losing face" is not the problem it is in Asia, inappropriate procedures have been used and confusion has occurred. Training was also found to be deficient and Operating Procedures inappropriate. Where do you think the B744 would have ended up had it not been for a very wet and boggy overrun area?