PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAPAN J N Somers ATPL Scholarship 2010
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2009, 22:09
John Alcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PilotPieces:
I must start by stressing that I can only make guesses to the decision making process. I would imagine that having a degree would certainly be a feather in any applicants cap, however it only makes up a part of the overall impression that someone gives. I'm sure GAPAN will ensure that the winner has the educational ability to perform well during training, but for most ATPL subjects, a good understanding of A-Level maths and physics will suffice, along with the determination to put in the work outside the classroom.

For the large part though, an applicants academic and aptitude ability cannot be changed. What may make the difference is a genuine interest and enthusiasm for aviation as far as your personal circumstances will permit (not everyone can afford a PPL, but membership of the Air Cadets, or gliding, may be a more feasible option).

The only certainty is that your chances diminish rapidly if you don't apply!

Quant:
I think this topic was covered in the JN Somers thread last year (probably a link at the bottom of this page).

Best of luck to all

Last edited by John Alcock; 13th Apr 2009 at 16:42. Reason: Sorry if my reply seems a little brusque, Quant. The original reply has been edited by someone other than me!