PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2009, 21:53
Dezso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea how to copy links into a post but I did read this line and smile.

just because the cabin crew want to maintain a standard of living which is well below that of pilots by the way, they have to be insulted and told that the cuts are necessary.

Well first of all its all about supply and demand the Pilots will have better pay etc as it is a skilled job, it takes years to qualify as a Pilot and I understand it is very expensive. So really it is silly to compare such a skilled job with another role that is to be frank an unskilled role. I am sure many crew will be insulted at this but think about it, how long does it take to train a crew member? 6-8 weeks I am guessing.

In reading this Post I have real concerns for BA as an organization and I suspect that many people here are posting in the guise of crew from other airlines, praying BA go on strike and then bankrupt, but trying hard to stir up emotions.

The bottom lines is that at the moment it is survival of the fittest for many organizations and many will only survive if others fail. In my organization there has been many people made redundant as we desperately try to cut costs and remain as competitive as we can. If we sat back and did nothing we would be out of business in a few months!

And as for this talk of this recession ending soon, I think you need to realign your expectations. The world government's have borrowed lots of money and we will all have to pay that back, and when people get back on their feet they will probably try and clear up arrears on credit cards and mortgages, not be flying around the world in Club World. Many businesses will be the same, they are losing Millions of Euros and they will keep very tight budgets for long after the recession has ended.

I fear for BA, your unions sound out of touch to me and I think you are all playing a dangerous game!