PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai: From riches to rags BBC Panorama tonight 8:30 UK:
Old 7th Apr 2009, 20:46
S.F.L.Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if I might expand your principle, would suggest that those the brits, Portuguese, americans etc, were doing the Ghanians a great service by enslaving them them to plantations, because and god forbid other parts of Europe would not let them in.
You basically didn't get anything of what I said and only read what you wanted. I am not saying that Europeans are hypocrites but feel skeptical when people pretend that European societies are better than GCCs on this point. I don't mean this is not true (which obviously is) but as you mentioned it western societies precisely used slavery to emerge and to differentiate from third world countries, as such it is curious to use a trick to get ahead in the race for development and later blame people using the same trick... The western world doesn't have the intellectual property for slavery. Having said that, it is true that western countries are almost no more abusing foreigners within their own boundaries while the countrary occurs when you look at the ex-colonies... BP, Shell, Total and many more are basically sucking the resources from potentially rich countries without sharing anything with the real owners of the land, resulting in masses of dying immigrants on the south European shores. To me such alienation smells like slavery and I cannot say with your confidence if it is worse to alienate them within GCCs or within their own countries... Citizens of Irak, Nigeria, Gabon, Congo and many more are probably less blaming GCCs than western countries for their sad fate.

This is my last post on the topic as personal opinions like mine are not gonna change anything.