PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 7th Apr 2009, 20:29
Hilife

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BB

If you are referring to the Peter Cheney article, "Doomed helicopter failed vital safety test, files reveal", then I’d have to say that I found it generally misleading.

Sikorsky won the Canadian Maritime Helicopter Project (MHP) bidding the MH-92 (Formally H-92) NOT the S-92. The Canadian Military CH-148 Cyclone (MH-92) and its systems - including the main transmission oil system – are a far cry from those certified on the Civil S-92, but hey, that wouldn’t make for a great story would it.

There have been 4 Puma accidents in only the first 3-months of this year (three of which crashed into the sea and 3 of which resulted in fatalities), but in spite of this and without a completed Air Accident Investigation Report as to the reasons for any of these or the one in question on this thread, some seem intent solely on demonising this manufacturer prior to the conclusion of any detailed investigation of all the events that led up to the final moments.

Whatever blame is attributed to this tragic accident, I’ve no doubt that there will be some serious soul searching going on within the industry and we can only hope that changes for the better will come as a result.