PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2009, 18:22
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermudatriangle,

I know exactly how difficult, in fact nigh on impossible, the task of negotiation will be after the event. However we all need to face the reality that this is an extremely difficult time ahead and difficult negotiating positions may be all we have left after the downturn has run its inevitable course.

Everyone is patently aware that BA runs a one way T's & C's ratchet. A bit like the governments petrol tax system that only ever goes up. I am certainly not naive enough to think that anything post 2009 will be remotely easy nor that the management will look back and say 'hey guys, you really bailed us out back there, here's a bonus'.

However, when you are out of the starting blocks with T's & C's that are far, far, far above other departments, carrying block payments, meal payments, lateness credit, CAT turnarounds (the CAT doesn't even exist anymore but the payments do!) etc. how can you NOT expect to be in the firing line for rationalisation?

As you have alluded to, sensible, adult discussion over how the targets can be achieved with the minimum hit to the employees is the way ahead. What is sad is that a small minority of CC, possibly drip fed by BASSA throw the 'bring the company down' banner and that worries everyone else. The vast majority of CC have a well balanced and considered opinion of the situation and are hoping that a mutually conducive outcome can be achieved. I hope it goes well as I like the company and I like the crews I fly with.

p.s. Paragraphs help the reader immensely!