PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F22/f35
Thread: F22/f35
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2009, 15:36
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killing Dave-B

GK121

As has been rehashed around here ad infinitum, the issue is that F-35B carries two-thirds the bombload half the range of the F-35C, or alternatively half the bombload two-thirds the range of F-35C. Dave-B can't carry the largest bombs internally, and it has bring back "issues", hence the UK interest in RVLs to meet key user requirements.

So, if you're in the Administration, then you need to make difficult choices - and though I appreciate that the Marine Expeditionary Unit concept currently relies on organic AV-8Bs - I would ask when an MEU went ashore in a combat role without fast air off a CVN. And when would you do it in future?

Personally, I don't see the case for it, and would give the USMC F-35Cs off CVNs as they currently fly F-18C/D. IMHO, the UK would jump at a deal swapping the long-term funding of the F-136 engine for Dave-B, and I can't imagine that the US will determine its procurement decisions on possible future purchases of small numbers of Dave-B by Spain and Italy (you may also add Thailand and Israel, too).

But then it's not my decision. The Dave-B is a nice idea, but it's not as useful as Dave-C; with the economy, it's time to bin it. I would continue with F-22 procurement, however.

S41