PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial R/T call to London control correct phraseology
Old 7th Apr 2009, 14:11
Dumbledor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

'Only Pprune Radar seems to recognise my point that there is clear guidance in CAP413 that states passing levels are required to the first en-route ATS unit.'

I also agree that CAP413 does state this. The problem is that there is no definition of an 'en-route ATS Unit'. If you look in the CAP413 Supplement (just google it) on the Climb-Cruise-Descent section under 'initial calls' there is a sub heading after the take-off phraseology 'Initial Call to Radar' followed by the usual call, including passing level etc. It doesn't specify which 'radar'.

The answer is in the detail of the wording in CAP413 'the first en-route ATS unit' .The 'en-route' term is not in capitals so this is an adjective. So this means 'the first ATS unit which is en-route'.

Kiltie, you have raised a very good point and I agree with what you say about 413.

By the way I don't recall giving 2 passing level calls in the climb in Scotland. Who are you giving the 1st one to? I wonder why this not enough for Scottish Control if this is the second radar unit that you are in contact with.