PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NLP in cockpit com
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2009, 09:25
Roger Sofarover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a very good question concerning NLP. Firestorm has given a pretty good account of it in a basic way. For those of you searching foe scientific or empirical evidence that NLP (or indeed Transactional Analysis which was not the predecessor to NLP) works, then just like any science of the mind, you wont find any. Just like any personality tools like Myers Briggs, SDI etc all we have to go on is that the theory seems to be pretty close to the real results we achieve.

We now use NLP to an extent and have done for about a year now. In the right hands it is very powerful stuff, but you will never get/want everyone in the cockpit doing it, and if you did maybe the results could be quite unfavourable. One problem with NLP techniques is that you CAN influence the outcome of a decision inorder that it meets your own idea. Now think about the consequences of that for a moment if you are wrong.

In general it is a practise that could stifle free thought and limit effective problem solving within a team. Where it is very useful is reinforcing the language used when you are trying to express certain safety concerns you may have, ie you are trying to be assertive in a situation where you think it is very important that the Captain knows your stance on the matter. Like many new skills we can pick up from CRM and Human Factors, it is a life skill that has many applications in day to day living, moreso than in the cockpit.

NLP is not a rehash of old ideas. It is brand new and Psychiatrist's hate it.

Flipster

you made me laugh a lot.
However, I doubt too many facilitators would be as bold to label it as NLP - I have tried but it often falls on deaf ears.
Thats an NLP joke right? (bye the way mate expect a pm we need to talk and my phone numbers changed and I've lost yours )

Well done Buzz, it is not often that topics on this forum get in to their second page. Keep thinking