PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What can I do with a helicopter?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2009, 22:03
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can I do with a helicopter?

I know that I am laying myself open to all sorts of jibes and teasing by asking this question but I am serious and would like a serious answer.

I have been flying aeroplanes for nearly 40 years. I have done most things that aeroplane pilots dream about - I have flown a Spitfire, I have had a job flying executive jets, I have flown solo across the North Pole etc. - and have come to something of a crossroads. I have to decide whether to spend a serious amount of money getting my aeroplane fixed or to jack in aeroplanes (on the basis of been there, done that) and start again on helicopters.

I have flown a few hours here and there on Bell 47, R44, JetRanger and Schweizer plus a couple of hours on a Twin Squirrel sim and I have to say that I think it's the best thing ever, and I am very tempted to get a PPL(H), probably on R44, probably at Redhill.

I live in Epsom in an ordinary suburban house without a garden big enough to operate a helicopter from. I am walking distance from Malden Rushett farmstrip. I doubt if I will ever own a helicopter, I will simply rent. I can probably afford to do about 50 hours a year on a rented R44, or rather less on a 120 or JetRanger.

My question for you all is simply "what will I end up doing with a helicopter licence once I get it?" I am unlikely to want to go serious distances at 110kts on 250nm hops, I'd rather take EZY. I am not a great one for posh hotels, and there is a certain number of times that I can do the London heli routes.

So, if I spend £15k on a PPL(H), what do you I will be doing with it in two or five years?