PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trying to 'reclaim' an old web page
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2009, 18:00
XV490

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trying to 'reclaim' an old web page

I hope someone can help with this.....

About 15 years ago, I set up a simple webpage for a friend's bed & breakfast business - using what was then BT Internet's free e-mail account and webspace offer. It is still there, and comes up high in Google searches for the relevant B&B criteria.

The page has this format:
(where * represents a lower case letter).

When I last updated the content (some years back), I used an FTP program with no problems - it took me straight into the relevant files.

But now that the old service has been transferred to BT Yahoo GeoCities, I can't get in with FTP. The new service seems to be telling me I don't have any existing web pages, and is encouraging me to start from scratch with a new one.

The help pages are useless, and just send me round in circles - and I can't find any area of BT where I can seek help over the phone. I can't believe a live web page can simply have been cast off into cyberspace with no means of controlling or even deleting it.

As may be apparent, I have limited computer experience. Can someone 'in the know' suggest how I can reclaim this page? Even if it means paying for it?

Thanks!
XV