PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 6th Apr 2009, 17:53
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Hb and TT--thanks for your support.

Kezo,

I understand that you overreacted and have deleted your post. I did copy it before deletion, and will answer some of your concerns, (without embarrassing you and re-posting your comments). HillerBee and Torquetalk are correct, there are many who dis-agree with my points of view, but at least hear them and form your own opinion.

After almost 30 years in aviation of which almost 20 is flying helicopters in the US, I feel I have somewhat an understanding of the industry. I may not have my finger on the pulse of the flight instruction industry as I am no longer actively involved, although having spent many years at a "large" school, I am on first name, "drop in unannounced for a beer" terms with many of the key players. I can tell you that the industry is STILL dealing with the Silver State debacle. Just the other day Sallie Mae announced it will no longer accept applications for student loans after May 8Th. I personally know 2 CFI's who had just finished their training at Silver State and are still looking for jobs.

Back to hour building and working for free.

Working for free is not the answer. This is one of my pet peeves, as many can attest to that I taught during CFI classes years ago. Yes, I am in a good paying job, but I did NOT EVER work for free. I served my time as a CFI, and admittedly I got to do other work also. The problem with offering to work for free, is that it demeans those of us who need the money to pay our bills. It also happens at the "back end" of people' careers. Case in point:

I receive annual factory training in our aircraft that is paid for by the company. One of our "mature" pilots told the boss that he did not expect to be paid for the two days of training. (He is a part time seasonal pilot who also draws a military pension). This then makes me look bad because I need to be paid. I explained this to the "boss", and it is now our company policy that we ARE paid our base "8's" for training--we do not however receive our flight pay--that is reserved for operational or ferry flying.

As for "ferry flying". My company has contracts all over the country which we fly our aircraft to. (The boss being a mechanic not a pilot--chooses to not truck them). We are free to let people fly with us on ferry flights--in the last two years, I have allowed "new guys" to fly with me at no cost, (they pay their own hotel, food and travel home), and log the hours to the tune of around 75 hours in an L4. Before you ask--I have a list of people longer than my arm already. I will be honest though--this is all straight and level, no emergency procedures, and in reality they are not the PIC although they do all the stick time. I also require them to have a CFI license. It is pure hours is all--a prospective employer would realise that.

We also have frost and rain contracts with farmers. We occasionally get called and will allow people to sit in the other seat and log time--again they are a "dead stick" and as such do not get paid. These people are generally those we know in the area---we have never just taken someone based on an e-mail or thread posting.

SO yes there are opportunities out there, and hopefully you have now adjusted your tactics. I would guess that you stand little to no chance without a CFI. So my advice to you would be to get a CFI, get out there and meet people face to face. Also, I was once told that when joining a new company, be the first to arrive, the last to leave, and keep my mouth shut until I know who the players are.

As for the green card, not that I need one, but I searched E-bay and Craigslist, maybe you should apply for the lottery.

Good luck.