PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2009, 17:26
suninmyeyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people on this thread seem to be implying that an intersection takeoff is akin to negligence or poor airmanship.

There are many reasons for intersection takeoffs. Some airports like Chicago and Newark sometimes promulgate on the ATIS that the takeoff will be from an intersection. At other airports like in the Caribbean full length may result in a tricky 180 degree turn at night on a limiting runway, get that wrong and you may close the airport and isolate the island for 24 hours. The 180 degree turns can scuff the main gear badly and if only for a gain of 300 meters it is not worth it. I find those 180 degree turns in a wide bodied Boeing more stressful than any takeoff.

On rare occasions I have used intersection takeoffs to jump a queue, to avoid an aircraft that has stopped on a taxiway with a problem, to make a tight slot, to reduce taxy time or to avoid a tight wingtip clearance situation with a remotely parked aircraft. This is commercial operation. I would not do an intersection takeoff if there was no justification behind it. For those who expound the "runway behind you is useless" mantra if it is perfectly safe to takeoff from the full length of a 2500 meter runway it therefore must be equally safe to take off under the the same conditions 500 meters along a 3000 meter runway. The takeoff is either legal or not legal. Full length with the wrong takeoff data as in the EK case is not safe. An intersection takeoff with the correct figures is safe and legal.