PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Punctuality before safety: Chirp reports on a Low Cost Airline.
Old 4th May 2002, 18:54
Secret Squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLAPS ONE:

considering that about 300 skippers retire every year from BA I think that a dozen or so qualifies as a few.

OUR pension isn't under review, but anyone who joins now may not get on the final salary pension scheme, which is a shame but there you go. They'll have a fight on their hands if they try to change existing arrangements, I think! We had a pension scheme like yours at CFE; and I don't wish to sound pompous but this subject won't stand up to comparisons so let's drop it, shall we!

Oh yes we do get a FREE, CONFIRMED, FIRST CLASS TICKET anywhere on the BA network (Captains, which at present I am), it's just that CONFIRMED means that Bryan Ferry or Claudia Schiffer can decide at the last moment to displace you. Obviously you won't be displacing a pax paying £5,000 (quite right too!); but if that happens you get to go in Club and if that's full, well you can chose to rough it down the back or wait for the next one. However, if there's a spare seat in First, you get it, no questions asked!

If the low cost carriers had SESMA, you'd know what it proves. It actually takes the fun out of the job, I will admit. On the other hand, as far as the airline are concerned - and therefore us - it makes for a much safer operation. Our ears would have been tugged long before CHIRP ever got to comment on any trends.

I actually happen to think that EZY are a good airline on the whole, with a good business plan, as are GO. We all know which airline is the real culprit here but no-one has the legal muscle (or the balls - me included!) to venture a stab at naming names. The walkround remark was aimed at them...mainly.

Money in the bank? Well, at last count BA have stopped losing 2 mill a day now but in September they still had 900 mill. So if you do your sums up until the end of March you can come out with a figure, I'm sure. I believe that The Times this morning said EZY made 40 mill last year. Then, of course, you can take into account that BA own most of their aircraft. Their liabilities are great, granted, but there's still plenty of life left in BA yet, don't you worry.

Lastly, I notice that the comment about roster stability was conveniently ignored. Personally, that's important to me.

Listen, Flaps. BA is by no means the be-all and end-all of aviation jobs, I know. However, you can hardly blame us for coming to her defence when people continually slag her off using half truths and duff gen. Indeed, you could say the same, and I accept that .Yes BA has been guilty of underhand tactics in the past but presently it's the low costers who are. Indeed, one is under investigation by the ASA as we speak. So what do you say if we shake hands and agree to differ? See you down the BAR?

Regards SS

Last edited by Secret Squirrel; 4th May 2002 at 18:59.