PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night offshore landings: a new approach?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2009, 07:28
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Malabo

MALABO,

I am dumbfounded by your last post.

You apear (quite correctly in my view) to identify the critical issues of speed control (speed stability) and Pitch Attitude during a night or ARA approach.

However, in refusing to consider my call for raising the MDH (at night only) to Deck + 200 feet, you seem to think that stable airspeed and minimum nose pitch up attitudes can both be achieved when 50 feet above the deck and very close to it.

Just to be clear, the interim AAIB report on the 225 inadvertent ditching states that the crew were too low to see the helideck lights and the crew felt they were "too close to the installation" and the nose was raised to slow down (20+ degrees) , ROD built up (-1000 fpm) , airpeed decayed (<35 KIAS) and the helicopter hit the sea.

This situation is clasically synonymous with being below the ideal (Deck + 200 Feet) MDH/CTB intersect line whilst trying to keep stable until the CTB is reached.

MALABO - I assume the slight about credentials was aimed at me and that is your right to freedom of speech.

Heres mine - YOU ARE EITHER THICK AS PIG-DO-DO or a Manager.

LIGHTING SYSTEM.

I like the idea of any kind of imporvement but my personal experience of Night Approaches both from an Operational and Instructional point of view is that "Capturing" the CTB slope is not generally problematic provided you are operating in acceptable WX conditions.

Its the bit before the CTB where these approaches seem to go wrong.