PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Active Indian Pilots: What was your flight plan?
Old 6th Apr 2009, 06:31
Mike_Kilo_Sierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agent123
Unfortunately Sir, that is the biggest life threatening risk that you WOULD HAVE TO take in civil Aviaiton in India.

Best Case : You might be flying ATRs after a few months of gettting an Indian CPL.
Worst case .. you'll be 30 lakhs poorer.

You can not ... I repeat CAN NOT take any "SAFE" way out of this mess.

Civil Aviation and Pilot Training in India is NOT like the way it is in the US or Canada or other countries ...

Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread ... almost 10,000 aspirants from India have set out (fools) to get a CPL from US, Canada, Australia etc ...
Only a few Angels with the knowledge, money, and more importantly with the right guidance and the "connections" have somehow been able to make it ...
Thanks agent for responding. Could I pick your brains on some portions of your reply? From your post, I understand that Indian training is not up to the mark when compared to US and the likes. Is it with regards to aircraft safety or just plain quality? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I don't have any connections, is it completely impossible to get in credibly? Guidance is what I'm here for and replies have been very informative till now. Thanks a ton for all your comments guys.

I'm keen to do the Indian CPL, because I think it is too much of a hassle to convert licenses with the DGCA. Above all like I mentioned earlier, I can't afford to go out since my job is here and I don't want to quit it.

Originally Posted by ninja_turtle
Emulating him will not have more chance of success .. Rather I would say it is a receipe for disaster ..

What he / she did will not apply today ..

Requirements change , demand and supply changes , conditions change .. in short everything changes ..

Think about the most challenging outcomes that you could be faced with and work out how you will survive it ..

If you can work that out , then , only something better than your expectations can happen to you ..

And while you do all that .. Be conservative ..

Thats the only sensible approach you can take .. If this approach doesnt give you a positive plan , then you need to work on things which will allow you to take this approach , before working on the plan itself ..

Hope this makes sense .. Good Luck
Thanks ninja_turtle for the inputs. They are most valued. I understand that the market is changing at a very fast pace and things will be different for those who train now and those who trained maybe a few years ago.

What I'm finding the most difficult is to find a good school and till now only Yash Air seems to be promising. I visited their facilities and was impressed, but unfortunately I went at a time when the students were not present, so I couldn't get a first hand account.

I believe not quiting my current job while I train is a sensible approach. Because even if I don't have a job after the CPL, I can still sustain myself on my current job. I don't have a family to look after which is an advantage as far as I can see.

I don't expect to land a job soon after the CPL, I expect to wait months if not years, but all this while I will have an instructor's rating so I can quietly build time. Even if I don't get an instructor's job, I always have my current job. I will keep my ratings and licenses current till I get that first job.

Please do comment if there's something wrong in my approach. And thanks once again for all the brilliant information.

MKS