PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncommanded Flap Retraction after V1
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2009, 00:40
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose rivets
How is getting just into the uncomfortable realm enunciated on modern kit?

Way back, one would see the ignighters come on - significantly before the shakers started. Just staying on the cusp of the shake would be my option if I was worried about terrain. This is where you have to consider gradient V climb rate.
Let's assume you've noticed the configuration problem. The risk of flying at shaker is that you don't necessarily know whether the same fault that has presumably led to the config change has also done 'something' to the inputs to the SPS - including the shaker settings as a result.

For example: flap position sensor(s) fail such that flap controller(s) think that the flaps are +10 degrees from where they actually are. If 10 was the real TO setting, then suddenly the system 'sees' the flaps at "20". So it'll command them back to a sensed 10 degrees - and so really at zero.

Now the flap controller will happily report "flaps 10" to all other systems, which will be configured as a result. But the flaps are actually, physically, at 0. So you'll have flaps 10 shaker, for example.

If flaps 10 shaker is higher than flaps 0 shaker, there may be a problem.

Of course, I don't know how many components had to fail in a very specific way to make that scenario happen .... quite a few I guess.