PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2009, 23:59
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sleeper;
One example is Addis Abeba , Ethiopie. We had to use the ils runway often and then circle to the opposite runway because of the wind. (25kts tail on the ils runway). This at night and in a very mountanous region with a B767-300.
Yes understand that this is still done - we have our own NDB's/LOC's but they're not nearly has risky as the work you're describing. Of course, what you're describing is the reason why the African continent has the highest accident rate in the world. The statistics are the reason why circling approaches aren't done anymore in other countries/continents - the fatal accident rate is reflected in the decision: circling approaches in mountainous territory at night with a transport category aircraft is a proven killer item. We are not even permitted Visual Approaches at night in designated mountainous territory and I suspect that is the case with most carriers. That said, these kinds of approaches are still done, most of the time successfully. Naturally that doesn't prove anything. I realize one may be up against other operational, strategic or even political restrictions in terms of operating at night in mountainous territory but the statistics are there.

411A;
Can't circle with an engine unserviceable?....out the door, pronto.
Most operators including all major carriers can't do that though, so risk mitigation has to take another form. Frankly I would prefer your method as at least such standards of skill builds the bank account for Skully's Moment. Regretably, the lower standard is deemed acceptable for some inexplicable reason and it's starting to show.