PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2009, 15:40
Dadinafix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A parents point of view....

A few years ago I asked for advise regarding funding for my son, as not being in aviation myself, I was unsure as to advise him, regarding secured, unsecured loans. I got some very good and sound advise. One from a chap called Steve Whittingham from Bristol.

Now guys / girls I am able to report to you as a parent, of my trepidation at the time, when thinking about banks, loans, future employment, studying on the other side of the world. This was when CTC could boast of 100% placement and a full time contract. (Yes my son made it through, and yes he now works as a pilot.) To this day he is not aware of the advise I had recieved when times where bouyent and less volatile.

For two years my wife and I had sleepless nights, wondering how he would furnish the dept should he not gain employment. A further 6 months then passed when he was sat at home waiting for an airline to offer that holygrail, of a full time contract. And now he still has 5 years of his bond to repay, not a problem, however there is added interest to be paid to HSBC for deffering payments until he was employed. Could he get hold of anybody at CTC to explain anything about the situation? NO!

I kept in touch with other parents from the meet and greet throughout, and they if not all, were as worried as us to what if things went wrong. You see after the spiel, and the drink, and fine food, reality stays with us when Karen and Lee pander to the wanabee idiolgy. No parent wants to P** on their siblings parade, however it is important that the promises have to be delevered by CTC. YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER!!! YOU ARE PAYING!!! YOU ARE NOT PAID THE MONEY BACK FROM THE AIRLINE!!! YOU HAVE A REDUCED SALARY!!! YOU ARE NOT ON A SPONSORSHIP!!!

There is a lot of hidden costs also to be found of Circa 3K, if your careful with money. There is not a lot do in NZ when your broke, and studying most of your working day, and grouded because the weather is crap, or the plane is TECH.

BELIEVE ME ITS NO JOKE BEING MUM AND DAD DURING YOUR TRAINING!!