PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2009, 10:49
jafa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the old footle tootle about V1.

Fact is, the TO data V1 generally assumes a balanced field. Most take offs, it is not a balanced field. So V1 will only be V1 when you are at max weight for that runway. (Yes yes I know - I am talking about the general case.)

Don't believe me? Look up V1 for max weight for any runway you are familiar with, then look up V1 at 3/4 that weight. Lo and behold, V1 at the lighter weight is less than the V1 at max weight.

You obviously require more runway to do an accelerate stop at a higher weight.

Stopping assumes the wheels and brakes and everything work as advertised. True. However, continueing makes a few assumptions too. The propeller has in fact feathered. The engine is still in it's mountings. The cowlings are attached as per when we taxied and nothing large is sticking through them. The gear has retracted, all of it, and the doors as well. The flaps are in the TO position both sides, and the leading edges ditto. Etc ad nauseum.

The point being, it is better to hit the overrun at fifty knots than the scenery up the road at two fifty.

You can easly stop right up to runway-limited V1, guys, no troubles at all. Just don't stuff about. The engineers and the test pilots have got it right.