PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Hours: what do they mean?
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2002, 10:38
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality, not quantity, every time.

I know of people who have got their licence and decided "Right, I'm going to get 100 hours as quick as possible". Sounds good in theory, but they haven't actually progressed in their knowledge whilst doing this 100 hours. The end result is someone who, on paper you would expect to be experienced, but couldn't handle situations that others who may have taken a more "seek the challenge" attitude that others may have.

Compare the above with someone who, once they have their PPL, then decides, in the same number of hours, to learn more and gain more valuable experience within the same 100 hours timeframe. IMC, Night, some Aeros, touring as opposed to bashing the circuit. Visiting more and more varied places and flying in more and more different conditions. Each time exploring and extending themselves to actually increase their knowledge base to make themselves more competent and, more importantly, give them greater experiences so that they have more of an inbuilt "reference library" when they have to call on the experience.

On paper - both pilots will be the same. But I know which one I'd trust more in an aircraft.

CM