PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2009, 04:35
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
expat 400, whilst I agree that the computer V1 may have been well under the accurate V1 for the runway/conditions/aircraft weight and configuration, I think most would agree that your comment
and thus they had plenty of runway to stop at
might be highly debatable.

You're making the Monday Morning Quarterback's classic mistake: coming up with a course of action, after two weeks to consider it and with considerably more information available to you than the crew had immediately to hand. Remember also that they had to make an immediate decision in a vaery dynamic situation.

The only circumstances that immediately come to mind that would make me consider aborting a takeoff after I had passed V1 would be a restriction in the flight controls or my only then becoming aware of a CofG so grossly out that I was having difficulty controlling the aircraft and therefore, that I considered might not be controllable after liftoff.

I think I speak for quite a few EK pilots when I say that I am deeply saddened if the story I have read here about the way the pilots were invited to resign is true. I would like to think that the management pilots who asked them to do so were doing so on orders from above and acting very much against their will.

One mark of a professional aviator is to drag an impossible situation - perhaps especially one that an error on his own part has caused - and get on with dealing with it and recovering the situation to a satisfactory outcome. It's sad to say, but true, that there'd be some (a small number), who'd throw their hands into the air and give up after making such a mistake. Whatever this crew did wrong, like the Jo'burg crew, they did a remarkable job of fixing their mistake.

If the company felt it had no further use of services, I'd like to think that that decision would not have been reached before the full report was to hand.