PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Hold Pool News
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2009, 20:20
AlexL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still not holding my breath, but if the various bits of news over the last 6 months has taught us anything about this economic crisis, it is that it is completely unpredictable and very surprising. An economic u-turn in the near future? Can't really see it, but if it happened I wouldn't be at all surprised.

However, I think that if and when a recovery does occur it will probably be fairly quick and fairly surprising - i.e not really signalled in advance. I suspect that BA may want to keep at least some people treading water so they can crew up quickly if they need to, and not get caught on the hop.
History shows that economic recoveries after recessions tend to cause significant undercapacity in many business who have cut too deep, or cut in the wrong areas and have no contingency for the recovery. And those who can pick up capacity quickly can do very well indeed during the early parts of an economic recovery. I'm sure there are wiser and better paid people than I, who work for BA and also know this! So i'd be very surprised if we all got hoofed out.