PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2009, 18:10
casablanca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just by memory so these numbers may not be exact....but i believe it is said if you are 10 feet high on the G.S that it will cause you too touch down approximately 1000-1500 feet further down the ry. 10 kts extra speed, if bled off by delaying landing/floating will burn up approx 2000 feet of ry.
Also my personal experience in this airplane , you have less depth/height perception than some airplanes. I believe this is caused by the very large windows and if your seat adjustment if even off a little bit it can really give you a different sight picture. Therefore I think it wise to back yourself up with all available data as this airplane has to be flown very precisely when heavey and landing on shorter runways.
Besides I have seen toooo many people line up on the wrong parallel rys at big busy airports. A mistake that need not be made if you used all data. Also if you go missed approach,(granted in vfr it should be a standard go around and vectors) and you had not programed all the approach into the Fms you will have no guidance to fly what can be a very complicated procedure....just my 2 cents