PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin 96C roadmap?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2009, 10:19
huv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin 96C roadmap?

Just bought the small Garmin 96C and I am happy with it. Have used the Garmin III Pilot for years, this is the perfect successor. Although my mind was set for a 196/296, I stuck with the small size as I found it is worth more than large screen and a panel page. Batteries are only 2 AA's and my first set has lasted 15 hours of heavy use so far. I have stopped using rechargable batteries. The small size makes sure the GPS is carried on every flight, and so the logbook function is useful, although for some reason it does not record time of dep and arr, only airborne time total (and place of dep and dest). I just turn it on, toss it on the back seat and forget about it. No wire hassle, no installation.

Having got there and found the rental car for the business trip, the land mode of the 96C is useful and clever for such a small GPS. The basemap has all the major land facilities including major roads, and the logic and user interface of directing you on the roads are clearly working, but it needs a proper roadmap.

The 96C is obviously made for this, having 113Mb of storage space and good functionality, but I have not been able to find a European roadmap for this GPS. Can anyone help?