PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar planning exercise
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2009, 09:03
RAD_ALT_ALIVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZED, give jtr a break and grow up.

Granted, it's rumoured to not pay very well (if you take the base pay in isolation). But as I'm sure those who've seen the contract will attest, it does have an incentive bent, where overtime could see base pay increase to a not unreasonable level (if you look at it from the point of view of the cost of living in NZ if you are resident in NZ. Same applies to UK, USA, etc. If you look at it from the point of view of exchange rates with other countries, of course it doesn't look as good).

But, however, there'd be (and in fact are) many people who would jump at any A320 job for many reasons; they want to continue to live in AKL, they want to get their first crack at a jet job, they look to the future in the hope that there will be rapid promotion, etc.

If you, ZED, don't want the job, I'm sure JQ is happy not to hear from you. I know I would be happy not to hear from you...

Anyhow, JTR...

Unless it's changed over the last little while, you're presented with one of any number of scenarios, all of which have the same requirement - for you to 'fly' a company route from 'A' to 'B' in the shortest time.

Sounds easy? Sure is, except that it's time-limited and the scenario throws you a curve-ball at the outset.

To help you in your endeavours, there are several other airports in the scanario that are available to you. These can be used (to use just a few reasons) to repair an unserviceability or find a new crew or refuel or any combination thereof.

The trick in this exercise is to be VERY organised. There are times of availability that have to be respected, weather conditions that might affect suitability, times of available maintenance...in short a concise precis of all the things we aviators have to consider.

There will be several options that you might come up with, but one will be the quickest way. Don't assume anything. Examine everything and all options. Even if you think you've found the fastest option, if you still have time available, use it to work another option.

Oh yeah, be logical in your workings and don't write like a doctor, ie write legibly!

I'm not sure whether there are many websites that have examples of the concept.

Good luck.