PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hazard Identification
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2009, 03:39
HigherSights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
discountinvestigator is right on some points though I'm not sure what is meant by a "fully qualified risk assessment professional". That sounds like all those involved in hazard identification, for instance, need a Master degree in System Safety (which would be the closest thing to a "fully qualified risk assessment professional", as this would certainly not include someone who has undertaken a 1 or 2 week short course). Also once someone is qualified, that does not mean they are experienced enough.

I am also not sure whether not being a "fully qualified risk assessment professional" would really expose a person or an organisation to litigation! If this were the case then it would apply to almost all aviation organisations. I may be cynical but it is the kind of phrase that consultants use. The main thing is that as an organisation has taken reasonable care to ensure reasonable standards of hazard identification and risk assessment. There is no reason why this could not include self education with mentoring, as many short courses are in no way validated or properly assessed, and the 'qualifications' are not conferred by a University. You could start by reading this.

Also remember that hazid/risk assessment involves a lot of guess work/judgement (and a critical stage is very often omitted - [historical] hazard review). Many and incidents occur daily that were not predicted in risk assessments, even those who are highly experienced and have formal qualifications. It is no panacea.

Last edited by HigherSights; 4th Apr 2009 at 03:53.