PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit flying with a jet and the use of TCAS
Old 4th Apr 2009, 02:52
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original question was concerning mixing slow light circuit traffic with jet circuits as well:
If you are doing touch and goes in a jet (or turbo prop/atr kind of plane) with several small planes in the circuit as well, what would you select regarding TCAS? TA/RA, TA only or ALT only?
not light circuits with incoming or outgoing heavy IFRs as you answered:
I beg to disagree with the "fact" that it would be impossible and/or even dangerous to mix slow moving circuit traffic (mainly light category) with either medium or heavy traffic if executed under strict ATC control, which would be ofcourse only applicable to controlled (airspace "C"), so at airports with a mixture of IFR and VFR traffic........But aside from weather conditions, at an airport with several training schools, you tend to get a mixture of VFR circuit traffic and IFR straight-in trainers.
IFR straight-ins or outs do work, but not both light circuit types and jets trying to do circuits together. It is a frightening experience in jets when you are constantly unable to see the light traffic and trying to fly a high pressure, tightly controlled circuit pattern. I've never known it work yet- jets are too fast to mix with them. Constantly having to widen the circuit or extend downwind messes up the training element. I've even had go-arounds in a visual straight-in turboprop behind unbelievably slow Cessnas that have appeared to apparently stop in mid-air. They just don't mix.