PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Double engine failure turnback
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2002, 02:43
'%MAC'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinny, Shame on you, You’ve dislodged me from my drunken stupor, American whiskey (Knob Creek) this time, Single malt, (Lagavulin) in Autumn and Winter.

Not as I understand, here is my reasoning, correct me if I’m wrong.
The minimum sink rate in glide occurs at the minimum power speed, i.e. that speed in which the power which must be supplied by loss of potential energy is at a minimum, which is conveniently the lowest sink rate = a speed a bit lower than max climb rate for a jet Vy. (This offset occurs because the available engine power increases more quickly with speed at lower kinetic energy then the required power). Best endurance is the lowest point on the Power Vs. Speed Graph.

The minimum glide angle is that which minimum weight occurs in direction of motion, id est the minimum drag speed on the drag Vs. speed graph. This gives the greatest horizontal distance per vertical as the former gives the greatest loiter time. The drag graph corresponds to Vx. Id est weight just balancing drag.

One thing I can count on, you guys won’t let me get away with bull crap, so edify!!