PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Casa Drug screening
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2009, 23:50
ithinkso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is idoicy

Alcohol testing, great, bring it on. Alcohol degrades performance and should be 0.0, not 0.2.

Drug testing, wow, this is crazy. I can go to the chemist, I can purchase a codral cold and flu tablet. I WILL return a positive reading. I will then be stood down from my duties as captain. It cannot be explained away as far as telling the bad man that you just took a flu-tab. You WILL be stood down from duty for AT LEAST 24 hours while the lab confirms the result.

Quandry: THE DRUG I TESTED POSITIVE FOR, INCREASED THE SAFETY OF THE OPERATION, BY PROVIDING SYMPTOMATIC RELIEF... IT IS A LEGAL OVER THE COUNTER DRUG.

This is an example of the inadequacy of CASA testing. Because they cant test for individual illicit substances, they group the entire lot.

Situation: Foreign crew overnight in aust, one guy takes a codral flu-tab. Screened next day and returns positive swab. Crew member stood down for at least 24 hours. The aircraft then required to remain until crew member declared, "not a drug user". Not all foreign operators have standby crews in Aust. When queried on the ramifications CASA said they would accept NO responsibility for any financial losses incurred by the company. Even though the substance was legal and not present in harmful level.

The CASA man then explained they take the same hard line approach as the police. If on a roadside alcohol and drug test you return a positive reading your licence is removed--instantly, total and complete rubbish. Has anyone lost their driver's licence for taking a flu-tab... I dont think so!

Get real CASA, you have really made total asses of yourselves, once again due to a total lack of understanding of the industry! Somebody sack these idiots!!!