PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ Inflight Concierges
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2009, 02:26
koru_kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilflyboy,

The simple reality is that hardly any crew applied for the position in the first place. Why would we? As a longhaul crew member on a relatively new contract I earn more than the Concierges when taking into account the allowances and overtime. In addition, the Concierge has various targets to meet, have inferior layover times in a lot of cases and most importantly are not considered part of the operating crew, so rest limits don't really apply. If there's a delay, they are required to stay hours with the passengers and assist reaccomodation, their care, etc. This is great for the passengers and I think it's wonderful, but I hope you understand now why hardly any crew became Concierges!

As for some perceived 'sourness' about the Concierges - I think a large part of it is we are undercrewed considering the aircraft types we operate and the elaborate and manual service we provide, and finally the company adds a crew member and makes it a position that isn't required to assist us in delivering that service, and had such a loose description of the job role that every Concierge has a different idea of how they should be doing their job.

SOME of them are fantastic (particularly a girl M., who manages to be a fantastic Concierge AND an extra hand during the service seemingly effortlessly.) Others don't lift a finger to help, and have the brazenness to sit there arms folded and watch us work, but don't seem to be particularly good concierges either!