PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA-28 short field take off flap setting
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 23:54
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
stick pulled back to the max. - let go of the brakes and just wait until whatever speed the aircraft is of the ground, I agree on the PA 28 it will not be 35 kts, it will be a little higher, however this is what will get you fastest of the soft ground.
Yes, but in a PA28, fastested into trouble as well. New pilots: Do not attempt this!

As I mentioned, in a PA28, you can be off the ground, and stuck in ground effect. You will certainly not anything close to the best short field performance (and that is what this thread is about). If you don't get out of ground effect, you better either have a place to land right ahead, or be able to retract the landing gear (the only thing that saved us!).

I have mentioned the flap technique only with reference to float flying in Cessna 180/185, where generally takeoff distance available is not a factor, and striking the tail on the ground is not possible! My personal experience is that fiddling with the flaps on the water can help, but simply lifting one float out first is much more beneficial, and much less dangerous.

A short field takeoff is about getting off the ground and over an obsticle in the shortest distance along the ground.

A soft field takeoff is about getting off the ground at the lowest SAFE airspeed. It is possible to be off the ground at less than the safest airspeed, why would you want to do that? You'll bang the tail, and settle back on in less than full control! We're only talking about SAFE flying techniques here right?