PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA recruitment
Thread: BA recruitment
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2002, 20:16
basil fawlty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetdriver, WWW, BA pilots & anyone else who has followed this thread!!
First of all I would like to apologise to those on here who feel ill at ease with my use of shall we say "earthy" language. I thought that you were all able to take it, I guess I was wrong!
However I DO NOT apologize for my views...
I DO NOT HATE or have PREJUDICE AGAINST BA OR ITS FLIGHTCREW. One of my best friends is a retd BA 747 skipper. The whole point, as I stated previously (and my point seemingly ignored) is; How on earth can BA crews expect a significant pay rise here and now? The company is on its knees!! They appear to prefer to see other people made redundant from a very, very average salary to £53 per week jobseekers allowance in order to fund an increase to what they feel they ought to be paid! Hand Solo keeps telling us about cutbacks here and there and the "sacrifices" made by pilots, but giving the cash saved straight back out in salaries again defeats the object somewhat doesn't it? As I STATED PREVIOUSLY there are certainly too many managers/pen pushers/papershufflers and the like draining resourses. This problem is very historic in nature, but is now finally being addressed and hopefully a leaner, less wasteful BA will emerge in the future and this will be to everyones benefit. If BA guys are saying that savings should be made in flight ops or in any other department just to fund a pay rise that the flightcrew would like, then I think that is supremely selfish, and I'm entitled to say that! Yes, pilots deserve to be very well paid for what they do, but whinging and moaning about it right now in these troubled times just paints all you BA pilots posting here in one light....a tad GREEDY. The pilots at BA I feel sorry for are the new starters, probably on a 'C' scale, and as rightly pointed out, will probably not make the LHS of a 747 unless they are under 30 today. I could suggest that the senior guys can perhaps "self fund" a payrise for their junior collegues if it worries them that much. I don't see charity quite stretching that far somehow!

I have tried insight and reason in argument on many occasions in the past. It doesn't work too well in the face of the "BA establishment" on here, all ready and willing to stick up for one another when an opinion or statement is posted, the contents of which they do not like by criticising them in some way. These guys have their own forum, I request that they go off and whinge/moan/congratulate each other in private. What else is it there for? I will not contribute on such subjects again, I can see I'm wasting my time....Brings to mind the old saying, "There are none so blind as those who do not want to see" Well, BA guys,I'd probably respect your opinions a lot more if you didn't readily dismiss mine out of hand. We can all learn something.....YES, EVEN YOU!!