PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk EGNW (Wickenby)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 21:09
Hamish 123

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Just checked my logbook - flew WD390 on 23rd May 1983 while going through Flying Selection Squadron at Swinderby, immediately after passing out of Cranwell. Only did the one trip in it, "Test 1" according to my logbook. Very vague memories of the trip, but still remember the instructor telling me I'd passed.

Looks in great condition - recall all the Chipmunks on FSS as being a bit more "lived in" at the time.

I still vividly recall my first take off in a Chipmunk. The purpose of FSS was to assess those selected for pilot training at Church Fenton or Linton, to see if they had the aptitude to go onto jets (JP 3s).

I had never flown before, so after a brief groundschool, went off for my first trip. The instructor just let me get on with the take off. It went pear shaped pretty quickly, and I was soon veering across the runway to the right, not having given it enough left rudder, heading towards a small hut I seem to recall. Just before we hit the grass, I managed to haul her off the ground.

I still don't know if the instructor was sitting in the back, as scared as me, or was calmly letting me make every handling mistake known to man during my first take off on my first flight! However, after that, I never had another problem with take offs.

Now landing the bugg*er without a ground loop . . .

Last edited by Hamish 123; 3rd Apr 2009 at 10:26. Reason: grammar