PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jail and 10-year ban for Thomson pilot!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 18:15
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also congratulate his co-workers or whoever it was that reported him to the authorities.

We all know what can happen when fellow workers turn a blind eye to such problems, it can end in catastrophe.
Well I have to disagree here! Don't know the full circumstances of this case but we don't all have to go and "tell teacher" when we are adults. If I suspected that one of my colleagues was impaired through alcohol I would (I hope) take him to one side and "suggest" that he goes sick for the duty and also then warn him/her that if he does not do so I then feel duty bound to report this to the appropriate authorities. I would hope he/she would have the intelligence to act on said advice and go sick. If I thought my colleague had a recurrent problem and he is not willing to seek professional advice then I would advise him that I would be speaking to his/her manager "off the record" about his/her conduct.

I do NOT condone professional flight crew disobeying the regulations but there is, as they say, more than one way of "skinning a cat". That said throughout my nearly 40 years in commercial aviation I have yet to witness a colleague who has turned up for work who is not fit for duty with respect to alcohol. However I have seen quite a few cases of flight crew being tired or fatigued when signing on for duty due to the permissiveness of the flight time limitation rules.

Finally Mr D's can you please quote me an instance where a "catastrophe" has occurred where it has been proven that one or more of the flight crew were over the permittted alcohol limits?