PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where's my hat?
Thread: Where's my hat?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 16:47
AKAFresh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It funny how it all works out... there obviously seems to be a major culture differences amongst pilots views on wearing hats.

Take for example in the UK the only pilots you often see wearing hats are British Airways pilots. Nowadays most pilots in the UK don't wear hats even when there airline issues them, this rose to the situation wear the airline bean counters had there way and the airline stopped issuing pilot hats (mine included). The idea being if they won't wear it then don't waste money making them.

However there seems to be a bigger issue here, there seems to be a sense that the hat is embarrassing, or more a taboo over wearing them.

Having said that there are some pilots mainly ex Air Force who still wear there's even after the company stopped issuing them (we are probably talking about 5 pilots at the most, out of XXX total).

Now in direct contrast to this if you go to any part of Asia or the Far East the majority of pilots are wearing there hats, granted this could be because the airline has imposed rules/guidelines (we have all heard the stories at Qatar) but I'm a firm believer that there's more to it. Even if they had a choice I think that the cultural aspect plays a big role and many would wear them. It seems to me that there's a sense of professionalism about it, one which dates back many years.

Take Japan for example it does not matter what job you do around the airport but everyone has a uniform or overall. Its the idea of being professional and adds a sense of respect.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, it just always puzzled me why some did and other did not wear them. I guess culture has a big part to play with how pilots around the world view the wearing of a hat as part of their uniform.

Aka.