PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nois abatment for business jets
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 14:29
PPRuNeUser0215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. I don't fly the noise abatement procedure because its inappropriate and unsafe in the CJ.
Not having a go Tommoutrie (that's my disclaimer to avoid the usual pprune slagging off match) but I fly the citation too and do follow the NADP2. I have not seen any problem other than the things I mentioned above such as low level alt cap (say less than 3000' for cash). Just something to be aware of and either you hand fly it or TCS it with the appropriate thrust reduction during the climb. I have not seen where it is unsafe either. From my experience in order to get rates in the 6000 fpm, it takes a bit of time for the aircraft to gather the energy required and usually it will not be a problem as it is more time than it takes to reach the 800' AGL from lift off. I can't reallt speak for the Lears as I have never flown them and I understand these things are quite something but I doubt that in general NADP is unachievable for Bizjets in a safe manner. Happy to hear more though.

Inner, just to clarify, it is only the NADP and it stops at 3000' so what you do after that is just basic airmanship. 6000 fpm might be or might not be appropriate depending on the place and time but that's not part of the departure (read disclaimer above ). As an aside if you fly fast jets (privately, lucky you ) with no flaps, the minimium noise acceleration altitude is 400' so super performing jets are also covered and the neighbours are "legally" happy.

CL300, you mean EU OPS
About the 400' I believe it is a figure which is used as a minimum for aircraft certification (but I can't remember if it is for the single engine acceleration altitude or for noise although I suspect it is the 1st one) so I guess this where Mr Dassault comes from. It is the minium safe covering all cases including the noise restrictions in place. I stand to be corrected of course and I apologise for the inacuracy.

Still, when noise abatment (reducing) procedures are in place, either through the manufacturer, EU OPS or local authorities, we should all aim to follow them. If it is not possible then I guess we should inform the relevant people so it can be amended. At no time though I am suggesting that good airmanship should be binned but in most cases, all this is perfectly compatible.
Never following NADP if you are an OAC holder is not an option (as explained by CL300) but there is always room for special cases (which might be always for you if you are based at a place with that kind of step climb restriction).