PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT II/III Autoland - who does what?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2002, 18:17
PETIGRAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Boeing Flt Trng Manual (B-737-700) has very little in the way of gudance concerning flying a CAT II/III Approach. Using that input alone - it would appear that they suggest that these Approaches be flown by either pilot and that the pilot flying remains the pilot flying throughout landing or go-around (understanding that the A/C is likely on autopilot).

After reading the replies in this thread, it appears that almost all carriers divide the tasks so that either the Captain or F/O always do the Approach and if necessary go-around (most the F/O it appears) and the other pilot/seat, always does the landing.

Is there any Operation out there that uses the "either pilot and that pilot carries through with either landing or go-around?"

Again - this pertains strictly to CAT II/III flown entirely on the autopilot.

I'd like to add one more request - as I originally said - how do you feel about the procedures your doing - I'd like to know the reasons that you think they are good/bad - i.e. - that the Captain taking over to land after going heads up for a while gives him more time to transition to visual cues when the transition time would be reduced on CAT II/III Approaches - just an example - not trying to put words in anyone’s mouths.

I appreciate all of your input - this has been an informative and sometimes "lively" thread.

Thanks again - Pettigram