PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jail and 10-year ban for Thomson pilot!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 14:04
wheelbarrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was talking with a copper last night who was absolutely amazed at the fact that 6 months prison seems to be the going rate for being convicted of being over the alcohol limit. Professional drivers would not be expected to get a jail term for just being convicted of drunk driving. There are thousands of cases of accidents having been caused by drink driving. How many aviation accidents, involving commercial operations have had alcohol as as causal or even contributary factor?
Why is it that we have have allowed legislation to be enacted, or the courts to impose such sentences without protest?
I am not against the legislation, but surely there should be some justification for treating aircrew so severely! If there was some real evidence that there was a direct link between accidents / incidents and alcohol then there would be some justification. As these reported cases indicate, there is obviously some level of aircrew having alcohol in their blood whilst operating, but not causing accidents / incidents. I think we should be more supportive of those caught out, whether through a real problem or just a lapse of judgement, i.e. agreeing to come on duty early when requested by crewing. They should be offered the chance of some help and understanding, and rehabilitation if required.