PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli ditch North Sea G-REDL: NOT condolences
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 13:42
Brown and Alcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought.

I watched this tragedy unfold yesterday in the media and on this site.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those involved and I will post this on the condolences site.

I know journalists are apparently the bane of the earth and, generally, I would agree. However, yesterday they had this well covered from the minute the aircraft went down. They were wll informed and well briefed by the major incident teams. There was nothing on this site that was of any real use that wasn't already in the public domain - vis the number of links to Sky, BBC and STV bulletins.

I would really question theh value of the chatter that follows every accident these days - particularly on this Professional Pilot's forum. I know this has been raised already and the post removed.

16 souls were lost yesterday afternoon. Spare a thought for those involved. Let the dust settle before you start your own ad hoc and, sometimes ill informed, speculation as to cause. The work 'vapid' was used yesterday by someone and until yesterday I didn't even know there was such a word - but, the writer may have been correct.

The facts so far.

Mayday - as yet unconfirmed whether this came from A/C or oil support vessel.
Rescue - was launched immediately by RIB.
The A/C appears to have broken up on contact with the sea. This does not appear to be a controlled ditching. It may not have been survivable according to eye witnesses.
Super Puma - Bond have temp grounded all Puma as a precuation. The accident earlier this year appears to be wholly unrelated save that it involved same operator and same type. This is not surpising when you consider number of flights flown per day out of ABZand the Numbers of Puma in use.

In the past I have lost some good friends and colleagues in similar circumstances and whilst knowing what happened and when is helpful in the long run I would like to see thread slike this moderated to remove much of the speculative, repetitive and fundamentally useless chit chat.

No doubt this post will also be removed!