PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 12:07
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
JimL,

n passing I must say I was amazed at the complexity of the S92 emergency checklist - surely this information could have been better presented in the form of a flow-chart (and this provided on some diagnostic screen with all paths shown and coloured appropriately).
Are you referring to the one I posted previously or the actual Sikorsky Checklist?

If you have access to a Bell 412 checklist you will see it is just as elaborate as the 92 checklist.

We have to remember the Factory Check List is written for all cases, generic operations, and thus will not necessarily be in the best layout for use in every cockpit.

Does not the CAA allow the operator to write their own version of the aircraft checklist?

The FAA in Part 135 requires the operator to do so. Most merely use the factory checklist but some operators do construct their own and submit it to the FAA for approval.

Probably the best checklist I ever used was the Bristow S-58T checklist we had in the mid-70's. The layout and content was excellent with both the Normal Procedures and Emergency Procedures contained in the same flip chart style document. When folded to the cover page....one either saw the Normal Section or turn the chart around and you had the Emergency Section and each had tabbed pages for the various procedures so you could locate what you were looking for with ease.