PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA-28 short field take off flap setting
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 11:21
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
In 30 plus years of flying, I havn't been bit yet either. Mostly luck, I'm certain. Early on (around 200 hours) I had the excuse of in experience to justify some of my foolish behaviour. Long ago, I lost that excuse - I now know better. I get to be inexperienced in helicopters now...

There are many things which I can still do very well in airplanes, a number of them not strictly in accordance with what the flight manual says. Some of these things I occasionally allude to here, many of them I never would. The fact that I am able to safely handle an aircraft during manuevering "outside the norm", does not mean that I'd write it into cyberspace! Odd flap techniques are know to me for water flying. I would happily demonstrate them, but will not describe them here. I don't want my conscience dealing with someone wrecking a plane because they tries something I wrote here, without the benefit of qualified, prepared supervision.

Changing flap settings during takeoff introduces simulaineous distraction, and change in flying qualities, neither of which are appropriate during a takeoff by a pilot who is new, or new to type.

New pilots are reminded that just because you read that people do things in planes, don't assume you can get away with it too! You start your flying career with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to use your judgement to fill the experience bag, before you empty the bag of luck!