PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nois abatment for business jets
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 09:44
PPRuNeUser0215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NADP 2 and Doc 8168 (the base document) say it is between V2+10 to V2+20.
Most if not all operators under an AOC (that means with some kind of approved books on how the company wants you to operate their aircrafts) have a published Max body angle. Quite commonly found to be 20 degres (so far from light jets to heavies I have flown, I have found it to be 20 degres - PLI on the Boeing or just attitude indicator on others).

Therefore nobody is expected to pitch up at 37 degres in a commercial environment but everybody can fly NADP2 without finding himself in such attitude. So one should make all efforts to follow NADPs as they form full part of the EU OPS 1 which is law. But keep in mind that max body angle published somewhere as it is an aircraft limiting factor (kind of a Soft limitation, as opposed to a Hard one - such as a manufacturer, structural one).

As for noise and derated take off, this is an engine life preserving tool, not an anti noise procedure. Please I am not saying that in order to achieve approval at sensible airports, manufacturers will not bring in an early thrust reduction during climb. Not the same.
Also if many of you know about derated takeoff but many don't so if you don't may I suggest you don't do it just as you feel. There is a max amount of derate you can do, depending on a couple of factors. It is simply not just a case of not applying full thrust at take off...
Plus what creates most of the noise is not the engines (yes I know engines make noise) but the drag. During an approach (slight drift) an aircraft with all flaps and gear will generate a lot more noise that one who keeps to minimum clean as late a good airmanship dictates (check the criteria for a stablised approach).
Of course as you clean up (back to the departure part), less power is required so less noise is generated.
So if you want to be a good neighbour and a good operator, you derate (as per the company approved books) to save on the engine, you climb at V2+10-V2+20 up to 800' (or Max body angle), clean up+reduced to climb power or whatever is appropriate for that first stop altitude in your SID/clearance.

Nothing fancier than that as far as I am concerned. Works for a powerful light jet (aren't they all, these little rockets) as well as an empty 767-300 with no more than a few tonnes of fuel for a 20 mins ferry (just as amazing as bizjet).
But ! Beware of your aircraft performance, automatics limitations. A good brief helps keeping the fast pace.

Cheers all.