PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You might be an aircraft spotter if...
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 08:42
BEagle

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
One person's harmless hobby might seem utterly bizarre to others...

Train spotting? Watching some steam locomotive in the 1950s thundering across the contryside in a fury of smoke, steam and mechanical mayhem I can understand. Sitting on a platform recording numbers - well, that's another matter.

Eddie spotting? A clever marketing move by Mr Stobart who was determined to raise the profile of long distance hauliers. So he insisted on smartness for his drivers and vehicles - and all his trucks had individual girls' names. Hence his company became a household name, thanks to the interest this generated. Name one other truck company*?

Bus spotting? Anyone visiting Oxford doesn't have any choice, there are so many of the damn things driving round with probably just half a dozen pensioners aboard enjoying their free journey.

Aircraft spotting. Photographing rare types and (perhaps) airline liveries is one thing. Recording serial numbers; well that appeals to some, I guess. We once had a letter asking whether the next time we delpoyed to Leuchars, we could please take a particular airframe as the letter writer had seen all the others we had, but not the one in question. We politely told him that we'd love to, but the thing had been tits-up with fuel leaks for over a year and we too would like to see it back again!

The very first encounter I had with a 'spotter' was at a static at Brize some years ago. His question? Could he please have a copy of the safety card from the seat back as his hobby was collecting the things..... But as we had lots of spares, I gave him what he wanted and he went away a happy shareholder......

*OK - Norbert Dentressangle. Another?