PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 08:30
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so many years ago now, I know of one (now ex-) 707 operator (military, southern hemisphere) whose SOPs on takeoff calculations were that one pilot prepared a set of figures, then handed the books over to the other with the book closed and no pages marked so that the the second pilot had to go through every step again himself, totally independent of the first.

Then they'd compare figures; and if they didn't agree, they'd look for the error.

On the EK 777 fleet, it was very easy to do something similar until progress intervened with the latest arrivals to the fleet not having the two inbuilt electronic flight bags. It was my habit, (and still is on the older aircraft fitted with the two EFBs), to do the takeoff figures myself, and then, with the very handy XFR button, I could very easily compare my figures with the FO's.

However, this doesn't address the problem of the wrong figures being put into the FMS, and I have to admit that I don't do it for every takeoff. On occasions, if there's the possibility of a runway change, I'll have the figures for the second runway in the other EFB pre start so as to save the FO having to be 'head down' inputting the new figures after taxi.

Having said that, I made a comment way back on page 1 of this or the other thread covering this incident that I'll repeat here, if not in exactly the same words. I think there'd be very few professional pilots who would not say "that could never have happened to me", even with every safety measure known to man in place.

As someone has said before me, the two operating pilots, how ever badly they may - (stress, at this stage, may) - have screwed up initially, did an excellent job in revovering the aircraft from the initial situation and then getting it back on the ground in one piece without injuring anyone among their passengers and crew, (I'm sure very ably assisted by the B crew).

I'd like to think I would be able to half as good a job as they did after the initial problem reared its head and pray to God I never have to.