PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 07:39
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I would imagine the QLD regional CAA were petrified with terror at the prospect of having R.D. Buchanan on their patch........
Tenders closed for the western Queensland Subsidised Air Route Contract on April 28, 1987. On May 13 The Director, Queensland Transport call me to advise our Tender had been accepted and operations were to commence on June 1, the day after the TAA Jetstream services ceased.

On May 14 I employed Ray Feltman as Chief Pilot and engaged Noel Belamy to assist with the Ops Manual etc.

To cut a long story short, we had all documentation to DCA/CAA around May 25 and conducted King Air surveillance flights. DCA/CAA advised there was no outstanding requirements for the AOC.

On May 31 I called the then DCA/CAA Regional Director inquiring about our AOC as services were due to commence at 6:30 am next day. He advised me DCA/CAA required 90 days to approve and issue an AOC and advised we would not be able to operate on June 1.

"Oh, but we must operate tomorrow morning and the flight will depart" says Torres.

"How can you operate without an AOC?" smugly asked Owen of the DCA.

"I'll operate in private category and provide a free service as required under our Contract." replied Torres. "And to ensure our service is appreciated, I'll invite the media to take up any empty seats if they print the story and promote our airline!"

7:30 pm on May 31, 1987 DCA/CAA issued the AOC and the first revenue flight to Longreach departed at 6:30 am June 1, 1987.

That caper cost me dearly and had a lot to do with my subsequent post Flight West problems with CASA.

I think Sparses name was mentioned in Gove with the NT Aerial Med Dove at sometime post PNG? It was crewed by TAA.
Sparse flew a Nomad on the NT Aerial Medical Service after he left PNG and before he joined Flight West.