PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Swansea airport....
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 07:32
Lord Mount

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torquetalk,

You are exactly correct.

I speak as both a police officer and a helicopter pilot.

A kid falling out of a tree ar someone tripping over a kerb, if considered life changing or life threatening would be treated as a possible crime scene until proved otherwise.

It is a mad situation that has been brought about by people running scared from Health and Safety legislation.

It is all an @rse covering excercise. No-one has the minerals any more to make the decision 'this was an accident' just in case they get it wrong and get sued. They err on the side of caution to protect their jobs, which is somewhat understandable.

Common sense should prevail but these rules have been brought in that bypass that route.

As far as the treatment of the casualty is concerned the police would have used their first aid training (minimal at best) until ambulance or paramedic assistance arrived. First aid training dictates that if the casualty is out of immediate further danger but has a head/neck injury he should not be moved. Obviously I cannot comment on the reasons behind why his clothes were removed at the scene ( I think I would have travelled with the casualty to hospital to retain the chain of evidence and siezed the clothing there), but I'm sure the options would have been discussed.

It aint the same job I joined 27 years ago, thats for sure. Lots of things have improved. Some backward strides have been taken.

Still I retire soon. Bring it on!