PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar NZ News????
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 06:36
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No my comments are not aimed at Aussies. Kiwis are just as capable of completely screwing themselves through an over-reliance on adversarial union activity.

Horatio

Fair enough, however many would say that the "erosion" you speak of is simply the market finding it's level with regard to pilot renumeration. Many would say that pilot salaries were always artificially high, that the job no longer carries the same risks or responsibilities as it once did before FMS and FBW, and that of course pilots will moan if they see their pay packets being hit, but their complaints are unjustified in the modern employment market. It's simply a matter of perspective. That is one of the reasons that pilots will pay money to go and fly for Jetstar and the likes.

I'm not saying I agree with any of those views expressed above - I think there is a balance to be found. The American pilots went on a jihad a few years ago to force airlines to pay them more. They got what they demanded, but shortly thereafter airlines were filing for chapter 11 and most of the pilots have now given back what they won a few years ago. Many are even worse off than they were. There is a lesson there that Aussies and Kiwis would do well to learn.

The job simply isn't as valued as highly as it once was. Sad, but true. No amount of chest-beating is going to chnage that.