PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go Around or Aborted landing ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 01:14
dicksorchard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Around or Aborted landing ?

I am not sure where i should really post this but have no doubt that the mods will move it to the apropriate place .

Was just very curious as to what is the difference between a Go Around and an aborted Landing ?

Or are they the same thing ?

I was a passenger On A Ryanair Flight from Liverpool to Ibiza on Monday 30th March it was in fact Flight FR 6433.
Flight was pretty uneventfull untill descending into Ibiza Airport .

Visibility was ( in my opinion ) very poor , there was a lot of heavy rain and we where being bounced about quite a lot. Seemingly from side to side ( crosswinds ? )

We where on final aproach and our pilot had given the 10 minutes to land notice to cabin crew and we where descending as usual but at aprox 800ft our aircraft suddenly surged back upwards into the sky and we had to then circle the island 3 times before finally landing a good 25 minutes later.

t was a very unnerving 25 minutes .

Our Pilot told us not to be alarmed that there was'nt a problem with the aircraft but that the wind had very suddenly changed and that we where now having to land coming in to the airport from a different direction ( which we did ) and that we where goin to have to circle for at least 15 to 20 minutes before he could safely do this .

We where experiencing some nasty turbulence and the weather did appear to have deteriorated since we had commenced our original descent but once the captain came on i did feel re-assured ..

There where however a lot of very worried faces untill our wheels finally touched the runway in Ibiza.

There was an argument between two gentlemen sitting in front of me concerning our landing an the incident prior to us finally getting on the ground .

One guy said that the pilot had in fact aborted the landing and the other said it was in fact a typical case of a go around ?

This know it all guy also said that as the aircraft was ' light ' ie half full that meant that we where thrown about a bit more than usual .

Can any of you explain to me what the difference is - if any between the two statements made ?

and i would love to know if any of you could shed some light on the weather conditions at Ibiza Airport aproximatly 12pm monday afternoon .

I thought it was pretty nasty up there but im no expert .

best wishs to all and a big thank you to our pilot if he reads this ,